Full-Time 2 year Contract - Commencing April 2019
St Michael’s Catholic School has a strong commitment to the education of Aboriginal and Torres Strait children as well as the provision of positive academic, social and cultural opportunities within a caring and dynamic environment. St Michael’s has a current enrolment of 110 students in classes from Prep to Year 6. Palm Island is a 20 minute flight from mainland Townsville and accommodation is provided on the island.Townsville Catholic Education Office is offering a dynamic and challenging opportunity for a Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist. A particular emphasis will be to work collaboratively with the school community to provide and foster the achievement, participation and development of all students. Find out more
About the Role:
As the Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist you will apply your psychological expertise to support students to achieve cognitive, emotional, social, physical and spiritual wellbeing. You will be part of the pastoral and support team and provide counselling and psychological assessment of students. You will complement and enhance the work of teachers to strengthen student learning and wellbeing outcomes.
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the ethos of the Catholic School
- Current full registration or current provisional registration with eligibility for full registration as a teacher in Queensland, and one year (minimum) full-time (or part-time equivalent) coursework Masters, majoring in guidance and counselling
- AHPRA registered or provisionally registered psychologist
- Highly developed inter-personal communication and relationship skills in dealing with a diverse range of students, school staff, parents, community members and professionals from other agencies and organisations
- Ability and willingness to travel, with a current and valid driver’s licence
- Experience with and commitment to the education and wellbeing of Indigenous students within the context of their families and communities
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate and perform psycho-educational assessments
- Capacity to develop and implement counseling and wellbeing programs to support the needs of children with personal, social and emotional needs
How to Apply:
- Please review the Position Description and Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist Brochure before preparing your statement
- Upload your current resume and a supporting statement (no more than 2 A4 pages) outlining why you would be the ideal candidate for this role. Highlight how your capabilities, knowledge and experience can contribute to student wellbeing and success.
- Please also include the name and contact details of two referees in your resume
- Check that you have addressed all of the Selection Criteria before submitting your application. To assist, refer to the Responding to Selection Criteria Guidance.
Provisional Psychologists are encouraged to apply. Successful applicants will be provided with an induction program, ongoing professional learning and professional supervision. Further details regarding conditions of employment are contained in the attachments.
Guidance Counsellor / Psychologist Brochure
Support for Provisional Psychologists
Closing Date: Wednesday 17th April 2019