Salary Range: $70,080 - $100,936 + Middle Leader Allowance of $10,543
Position: Head of Department - Science
Tenure: Full-Time, Ongoing
Start Date: Term 1 2020
Contact: HR Services (07) 4773 0900
Burdekin Catholic High School is a Catholic secondary co-educational school catering for students in Years 7 to 12. The school provides quality education with a broad curriculum base within a caring Christian environment. Opportunities exist for those students seeking an academic education along with those seeking a more vocational direction.
At Burdekin Catholic High School, we recognise that each student's contribution to school life is unique and that to attain the aims and ideals of the school for each student, there must be a close working harmony between the home, the community, the Church and the school.
As part of our teaching team, we will provide a supportive, flexible working environment where care for all our staff is an important part of our ethos. We employ motivated people who want to work together to produce excellent outcomes for our students. Our staff are recognised as being central to achieving our mission.
What we are looking for:
The role of the Head of Science is to support the mission of Burdekin Catholic High School through leadership of the Sciences learning and teaching program. This involves developing appropriate curriculum in line with national, state and local requirements; ensuring that appropriate pedagogies are developed and implemented at all levels; ensuring the quality of student learning and the effectiveness of teacher practice through appropriate supervision; utilising thorough analysis of current data to inform decisions; developing appropriate partnerships within and outside of the school; and prudently administering available resources.
The Head of Department in Science at Burdekin Catholic High School demonstrates leadership in three dimensions: educational leadership; human leadership and strategic leadership. Academic Leaders also demonstrate an understanding of, commitment to and support for the values and ethos of Catholic education.
The Successful applicant will be responsible for:
- The leadership of the Sciences taught in the school
- The application of contemporary learning and teaching research to classroom practice through professional development of teachers engaged in the area(s) of curriculum responsibility
- Supervision of teachers engaged in the area(s) of curriculum responsibility
- Induction of new teachers within the area(s) of curriculum responsibility (or supervision of induction where it is undertaken by another experienced teacher), and/or
- Pastoral care of staff engaged in the designated area(s) of curriculum responsibility, and/or
- Other appropriate duties as required by the Principal and consistent with the level of expertise indicated above.
Applicants will demonstrate the following:
- A clear vision of and support for the school's mission and its underlying values and ethos
- Leadership capacity - a broad vision that extends beyond subject boundaries, initiative, perseverance, acceptance of responsibility, effective organisational skill, ability to communicate appropriately and ability to foster cooperation and collegiality
- Success as a classroom teacher
- An appropriate level of professional qualification both formal and informal and/or relevant experience
- Professional activity through membership of professional associations and on-going professional development.
What we offer
In addition to the pure thrill of seeing your students take significant educational leaps, we also offer a range of additional benefits to our teachers, including:
- Competitive Salary starting from $70,080 - $100,936 + Middle Leader Allowance of $10,543
- Salary packaging options via REMSERV
- Modern facilities and equipment
- Superannuation up to 12.75% employer contribution (if an employee co-contribution is made)
- Access to long service leave after 7 years of continuous service
- 14 Weeks’ Paid Parental Leave
- Deferred Salary Scheme
- Corporate Health Insurance
- Induction and Professional Development Opportunities
- Wellbeing programs
Why work with Townsville Education Office
How to apply
If you have a relevant teaching qualification or you are currently working towards one, the TCE Recruitment Team are interested to hear from you.
- Upload your current resume including referee's
- Complete a covering letter outlining your reasons for the application of the position and your suitability for the position you are applying for.
Applications close 9am Monday 18th November 2019.