Position: Head of Department Computer Science and Business Studies
Apply by: 16th May 2019
Salary: MS/UPS + TLR2a Contract term: Permanent
Job start: September 2019 School Visits: Welcomed
Interview: WC 20th May 2019
CORE Education Trust is inspired and guided by its 4 CORE values of collaboration, opportunity, respect and excellence. The Trust is led by some of Birmingham's leading educational and business leaders.
Are you a dynamic, caring, and positive teacher who wants to make a difference?
City Academy Birmingham is looking to recruit a Head of Computer Science and Business to join its dedicated, hardworking team. Whilst the post would be perfect for somebody looking to take on their first leadership role, we would also welcome applications from experienced Computer Science leaders looking for a change.
Being a relatively small team of staff, there are lots of opportunities to work collaboratively across school to make a difference to our students’ lives. Our students are responsive, hardworking, and aspirational; some of them have challenging backgrounds but our school provides them a safe, aspirational environment to enable each and every one of them to thrive. Visitors always comment on how friendly, respectful, and engaging students are.
City Academy Birmingham are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Any offer of employment will be subject to receipt of a satisfactory DBS certificate.
Job Purpose and Responsibilities
• To facilitate and encourage a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to achieve their individual potential.
• To contribute to raising standards of student attainment.
• To share and support the academy’s responsibility to provide and monitor opportunities for personal and academic growth whilst fostering the academy’s ethos providing equal opportunities for all.
• To take an active responsibility for the safeguarding and welfare of all students and young people within the academy.
• Consistently teach high quality lessons.
• Deliver the curriculum in line with the relevant key stage groups.
• Identify individual student capabilities, plan and distinguish teaching methods appropriately to build and develop student learning.
• Contribute to the development of teaching materials and programmes of study
• Maintain discipline in accordance with the academy procedures and to encourage good practice with regards to punctuality, behaviour, standards of work and homework.
• To assess accurately and maintain appropriate records.
• Follow academy teaching policies for example with regards to assessment, marking, feedback and homework.
• Be a role model for students, inspiring them to be actively interested in Computer Science and Business Studies.
• To be a Form Tutor to an assigned group of students.
• To promote the general personal development and well-being of individual students and the Tutor Group as a whole.
• To liaise with the relevant pastoral leaders to ensure the implementation of the student support system.
• To register students, accompany them to assemblies, encourage their full attendance and their participation in other aspects of academy life.
• To alert the appropriate staff to problems experienced by students in the Tutor Group.
• To be fully aware of all matters of child protection and safeguarding and follow the appropriate policies and procedures as required.
• Be up to date with the latest developments in teaching practice and methodology, in particular in the curriculum area of Computer Science and Business Studies.
• Be aware of departmental and academy health and safety measures, including relevant risk assessments.
• To set cover work during any leave of absence.
• To take part in Open Evenings and Parents’ Evenings and any other similar event to support students and their families.
• To attend meetings and professional development activities as required.
• Carry out duties in line with published rota’s
• To play a full part in the life of the academy community, to support its distinctive mission and ethos and to encourage staff and students to follow this example.
For an informal discussion please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The successful candidate will need to undertake a DBS Enhanced Disclosure.
Please note we do not accept CV’s.
CORE Education Trust is an equal opportunities employer.