Position: Head of PE – Maternity Cover Apply by: Thursday 16th May 2019
Salary: MPS/UPSA + TLR2a Contract term: to cover Maternity Leave
Job start: September 2019
Interview: w/c 20/05/2019
CORE Education Trust is inspired and guided by its four CORE values of Collaboration; Opportunity; Respect and Excellence. The Trust is led by some of Birmingham's leading educational and business leaders.
• Leading the development of the curriculum, Teaching & Learning and assessment across PE, including the development of appropriate syllabii, schemes of work, lesson plans, resources, and assessment materials.
• Inspiring and developing your team to offer all children a great education in a stimulating environment, providing equality of opportunity for all.
• Managing staff who teach and/or support the teaching of PE, supporting their development and ensuring consistent high quality for all students.
• Providing professional support and guidance to colleagues, including modelling effective strategies relating to behaviour for learning; teaching, learning and assessment; intervention and enrichment.
• Ensuring staff are afforded opportunities to collaborate in order to drive continuous improvement and high quality professional development.
• Co-ordinating assessment and progress tracking of all students within PE, setting ambitious targets, identifying the need for intervention when students fall behind and successfully securing the good progress of all students.
• Supporting the development of literacy across the curriculum, ensuring that all staff contribute to the development of these core skills through effective cross-curricular approaches.
• Participating in the life of the school to ensure all students benefit from high quality pastoral support and a range of enrichment opportunities.
• Taking an active responsibility for the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils and young people within the academy
• To raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the PE faculty and to monitor and support student progress, in accordance with the aims of the Academy and the curricular policies determined by the Governing Body and Headteacher of the school
• To raise the profile of PE, instilling a love of PE within the school community and creating opportunities to deepen learning through cross-curricular links.
• To develop and embed school-wide approaches to oracy, literacy and numeracy within the PE department
• To lead the development and enhancement of the teaching practice of staff within the faculty by ensuring accurate feedback is given to staff on their classroom practice which will enable them to improve performance in line with school objectives.
• To use data effectively to track student progress, ensuring that appropriate intervention activities are provided for students who fall behind so that all students make good progress.
• To co-ordinate a range of intervention and enrichment including study support after school, weekends and holiday programmes.
• To implement best practice in the effective use of student performance data and student and staff target-setting so that this impacts on classroom practice and contribute to raising achievement.
• To embed an environment which enables people to perform at their best and underpins effective relationships.
• To actively monitor student progress and ensure plans are in place for students who are at risk of underachieving.
• To work with colleagues to formulate aims, objectives and strategic plans for the department which have coherence and relevance to the needs of students and to the aims, objectives and strategic plans of the school.
• To motivate colleagues and encourage collaboration within the department and with colleagues across the school.
• To be involved in identifying staff development needs and ensure that appropriate programmes are designed to meet such needs.
• To be involved in the application of PE in the department including the development of resources.
• To monitor standards of student classwork, marking, homework and teacher assessment through regular book scrutiny, learning walks and data meetings.
• To keep up to date with national developments in the curriculum area, teaching practice and methodology and actively monitor and respond to curriculum development and initiatives at national, regional, local and school levels.
• To act as a role model within PE for students and staff in consistently carrying out all school behaviour for learning policies and practices.
• To attend and where appropriate, lead all meetings which come under current responsibilities for example, departmental or CPD.
• To participate in and carry out any administrative and organisational tasks within the remit of the School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions document.
• To complete any other duties deemed appropriate to the grade and workload as requested by the Headteacher or the Leadership Team.
• To participate in the operation of the Academy’s Performance Management Scheme.
• Such other duties as may be appropriate to achieve the objectives of the post or assist the Senior Leadership Team in the fulfilment of faculty and academy objectives commensurate with the post holder’s salary grade, abilities and aptitudes.