Receptionist required part time, 25 hours per week (0800-1300hrs)
The post holder is responsible within a small administrative team for the effective operation of AUEA’s main reception area as the first point of contact for any visitor to Aston University Engineering Academy and for students entering and exiting the building in core hours. The role requires efficient multi-tasking and proactive attention with a customer-friendly focus and due regard to the Academy’s policies and procedures. There are also particular responsibilities for the operation of the telephone system and to support internal and external events.
· To act as receptionist for staff, pupils and all visitors to the Academy ensuring that all visitors are signed in and issued with a security badge.
· To receive visitors courteously and hospitably and to deal with queries from all parties promptly in a helpful and friendly manner.
· To control access to the Academy and its car park via the security access points and to ensure safeguarding procedures are adhered to when allowing visitors to enter the Academy buildings/grounds, allocating parking as necessary.
· To operate the Biostore automated access-control system as a receptionist and associated procedures to ensure students’ movement into and out of the building via Reception is properly recorded and challenged if required, assisted by the Student Attendance and Welfare Officer.
· To operate the switchboard, receiving and making calls taking messages and ensuring efficient deliver.
· To receive and sign for deliveries to the Academy and to liaise with the General Administrators to ensure that parcels are sent on to the appropriate departments and delivery notes are passed to the Finance Team.
· To ensure that the Reception Office, as the front-of-house for the Academy, is kept in good order.
· To use relevant ICT resources to provide effective and responsive services, including routine use of the student database.
· To respond to queries from staff, pupils and parents in line with school policy and procedures, giving information and advice as appropriate.
· To sort, collate and distribute internal and external mail, faxed documents and emails as required.
· To make and facilitate arrangements for visitors, including parents/carers, school nurse, LA officers, VIPs and from external agencies.
· To assist with the Parentmail communication system to ensure timely and accurate messaging to parents.
· To support the delivery of pupil welfare and first aid services, in line with school policy and procedures, particularly re use of the medical room in the reception area.
· To provide staff and student lists for evacuation purposes and to support senior staff in the event of an emergency.
· To work as a member of the support staff team, providing cover as required for absent colleagues within the office.
· To be aware of and comply with all policies and procedures, particularly those relating to child protection, health and safety, security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting any concerns to an appropriate person.
· To participate in training and other learning activities and performance development as required.
· To undertake any other associated clerical or administrative functions within the school commensurate with the level, grade and requirements of the post as requested by the Business Manager or other members of the Senior Leadership Team.
· Prior relevant experience of reception work/administration, experience in a school environment that includes use of an management information system would be an advantage, but not a requirement as training is provided for a suitable candidate
· GCSE English and Maths Grades A-C desirable
· Confident IT skills in MS Office products (training will be provided)
· Strong organisational and time/task management skills, completing tasks to deadlines and standards when juggling competing priorities and interruptions
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, combined with enthusiasm for providing a high quality service with a flexible/adaptable attitude
· Capacity to work independently with minimal supervision but also as part of a team, learning new skills and adapt to business changes
· Awareness of and willingness to support difference and ensure all pupils have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop
· Commitment to supporting and promoting the Academy ethos and contributing to the overall aims of AUEA
AUEA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment and individually take responsibility for doing so.
Closing Date: Monday 27th November at 12 noon
Interview date: Monday 4th December 2017
For an application pack download from https://auea.co.uk/apply/staff
NB. Previous Applicants Need Not Apply - CVs are not permitted.