Are you an innovative, enthusiastic and passionate Teacher of Geography?
Then this will be the job for you.
This post provides a unique opportunity to work within a high-performing and growing 11 to 18 grammar school with a large sixth-form and exceptional students. With an intake of approximately 500 post-16 and 210 in next year’s Year 7, Heckmondwike Grammar School is a dynamic place to be.
We also have the significant addition of a new £1.1 million sixth form centre nearby.
The Geography department consists of a hard-working and dedicated group of teachers who have a passion for teaching the subject. We currently have three Geography specialists working under the direction of a highly experienced Subject Leader within the ‘Explore’ faculty. We are looking for someone who is eager to join our enthusiastic and successful team as we aim to build on our foundations and strive for further success.
At present, Geography groups are taught in mixed ability sets at all Key Stages. We currently have five teaching groups in both Year 10 and Year 11 from a six-form entry and our GCSE classes have 25 or fewer students. We have grown in recent years and are now one of the most popular options subjects. We enter all students for the AQA GCSE. At A-level, we also follow the AQA specification.
We offer the students many opportunities to experience the subject beyond the classroom. Trips include, Malham, Cranedale and Iceland.
We have a popular Twitter account and use this to promote participation as well as wider reading and independent study. In addition to instilling a culture of academic excellence in our students, we encourage students to take an interest in the world around them and appreciate the opportunities and challenges presented by the modern world.
We would like to appoint an outstanding Teacher of Geography. Achievement is routinely excellent. Last year’s results saw 88% of our GCSE Geography students achieve grade 6-9 and 71% at A Level Geography achieve A* - B.
Consideration will be given to both experienced teachers and NQTs who wish to develop their teaching expertise in an outstanding school.
We take great pride in providing our students with a first class education and believe that commitment, attitude, ideas, potential and enthusiasm are very important qualities.
The department is always looking at ways of developing its curriculum and widening the experience for students so expert subject knowledge and a passion to lead extra-curricular activities in Geography are highly desirable.
You will need to:
- believe in our school values of Respect, Responsibility and Excellence and follow our school ethos embedded in our motto of ‘Nil Sine Labore’ - Nothing Without Work
- be a reflective practitioner wanting to develop and hone your craft tot he highest level
- be an inspirational teacher who builds excellent relationships and motivates students
Specific responsibilities are set out in a detailed job description.
In addition to this, teachers at HGS are expected to be effective, reflective professionals who challenge and support all pupils to do their best. Teachers at HGS should inspire confidence, build team commitment, engage, and motivate their pupils. They should think analytically about their work and take positive action to improve the quality of pupils’ learning.
They will encourage high standards of academic and personal achievement and be a good role model for the students in the school.
They will make an active contribution to the policies and aspirations of the school and their department.
In return we can offer:
- eager and committed students who are keen to learn and progress
- a creative and supportive team, who are driven to support and challenge our students
- well-equipped specialist classrooms
- a learning-centred school where the best possible practice is the priority
- a comprehensive CPD programme and opportunities to develop as a teacher and as a leader
- a vibrant, supportive community of like-minded professionals
What Will You Bring To The Role?
- Suitably qualified – degree in relevant discipline plus teaching qualification
- Up-to-date knowledge of curriculum related issues 11-19
- Skilled classroom practitioner with the ability to inspire and motivate students in KS3 to KS5.
- ICT skills and an understanding of the potential for use of ICT for teaching and learning, including IWB/Powerpoint/VLE/iPad
- Ability to contribute to the wider school life
- Able and confident to contribute to development of schemes of work and teaching and learning materials
- Energy and enthusiasm
- Suitability to work with children
Why Should You Apply?
Heckmondwike Grammar School is a unique school, with students who are eager to learn, keen to know more and want to enjoy their educational experiences. It is exceptional in many ways: a very diverse school community that produces results of the highest quality.
We work effectively with our young people, really care about them and their futures and have an ultimate success measure of enabling them to proceed to where they want to go. Excellent relationships between staff and students are the norm, expectations are high and students perform very well as a consequence.
In return, we offer a competitive salary, membership of the teacher pension scheme and other well-being benefits.