Academy: Leeds West Academy
Job Title: Teaching Assistant
Grade: A1/B1 .2 - .6 £17,711 - £19,171 per annum, pro rata (actual salary £13,898 - £15,044)
Hours/weeks: 34.10 hours per week, term time only plus 5 days (39 weeks per year)
Accountable to: Assistant SENDCo
Leeds West Academy is a school with a remarkable sense of community which has recently been judged as ‘Good’ across all areas of the Ofsted framework. In the Ofsted report inspectors commented; 'Leaders' have secured strong support of staff, who share their ambitious vision and inclusive values.’ Over the last three years the school has been on a rapid journey of improvement securing our best ever GCSE results in summer 2019. Housed within a state-of-the-art school building, with stunning views, Leeds West Academy is an oversubscribed 11-16 school, committed to delivering an outstanding education to each and every one of our students. Leeds West Academy is also a highly desirable and dynamic world-class establishment for ambitious professionals and which provides excellent and varied opportunities for professional development through The White Rose Academies Trust’s CPD programme.
We are looking for a Teaching Assistant provide effective support to access to learning for students with SEND and provide general support to the teacher.
Duties and Responsibilities
To supervise and support students inside and outside of the classroom by:
- ensuring they have access to the curriculum
- encouraging them to participate in learning activities as required in lessons
- ensuring they understand learning objectives and instructions
- ensuring they are able to effectively use access arrangements as required under their study support plans
- Meet the physical needs as required whilst encouraging independence including attending to the students’ personal needs, and implementing related personal programmes, including social, health, physical, hygiene, first aid and welfare matters. To be aware of and support difference and ensure all students have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop.
- Support with the development and implementation of Individual Education/Behaviour Plans and Personal Care programmes including gathering/reporting information to/from parents/carers as required.
- To establish good relationships with students acting as a role model, responding appropriately to individual needs while promoting the inclusion and acceptance of all students.
- To prepare the classroom as directed by the teacher for lessons, prepare and maintain equipment/resources assist students in their use.
- To be aware of student challenges/progress/achievements and report to the relevant member of staff.
- To undertake and maintain accurate student records.
- To support the teacher in managing student behaviour, reporting and recording difficulties as appropriate.
- To provide clerical/administrative support- photocopying, typing, filing etc.
- To support during examinations by assisting in the setting up of rooms and invigilating including reading and/or scribing for students with access arrangements
The successful candidate will have experience of supporting young learners in an organisational setting, along with an understanding of individual learning styles and the ability to identify potential barriers to learning, engaging in strategies and coaching skills to overcome these barriers. They will also be educated to GCSE level (or equivalent) at grade C (including English and Maths).
Part of The White Rose Academies Trust - the most rapidly improved family of schools in the region - Leeds West Academy is accelerating on a thrilling journey, which will ultimately see the school, its staff and its students, secure an Ofsted rating of outstanding.
We're securing our vision for Outstanding by growing our family of exceptional education professionals; dedicated specialists and passionate leaders with the shared goal of transforming future prospects for the next generation in West Yorkshire.
We provide exceptional life training; harnessing the skills and fortifying the aspirations of young people, who we know will transform the region and provide a positive, progressive contribution to society.
The White Rose Academies Trust is a local Trust dedicated to raising and fulfilling the ambitions of young people. Our academies throughout Leeds are at the heart of the communities they serve, which is why we are committed to delivering an outstanding education to every one of our students.
The Trust employs almost 400 outstanding professionals who are committed to unlocking the potential of the next generation.
We benefit hugely from our sponsor, Leeds City College which, along with the White Rose Academies Trust, is part of the Luminate Education Group. Other members of the group include Leeds College of Music, Keighley College and Harrogate College. Our sponsor provides leadership and operational support and advice to all our academies. They also share our vision of creating a truly outstanding Trust.
Closing Date: 20th January 2020 – 9.00 am
Shortlisting: w/c 20th January 2020
Interview Date: either late w/c 20th January or early w/c 27th January 2020
Start Date: ASAP
To apply, please complete the application form by the closing date of Monday 20th January 2020 – 9.00 am. Please note we are unable to accept CV’s.
The White Rose Academies Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its students and expects all staff and volunteers to share the commitment. Appointments will be subject to Safer Recruitment Procedures and a DBS check.
PLEASE NOTE THE REQUIREMENT TO ATTACH YOUR APPLICATION FORM AS A SEPARATE DOCUMENT TO YOUR EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FORM WHEN EMAILING YOUR APPLICATION TO US.