* Making progress in religious education is the theme of the Professional Council for RE's annual conference to be held April 7-9 at Sheffield University. Fee: Pounds 199. Details from: April McIntyre, PCfRE, Royal Buildings, Victoria Street, Derby DE1 1GW, tel: 01332 296655.
* The PCfRE offers a course for A-level teachers entitled: Rising higher: raising standards and sharing inspiration at Birmingham University from January 4-6. Fee: Pounds 199 subscribers residential; Pounds 115 plus Pounds 60 meals non-residential (non-subscribers add 15 per cent). Details as above.
FREE FOR ALL
* The Christingle education pack contains activity sheets about the Festivals of Light of different faiths and ideas on holding your own fundraising Christingle (a candle-lit children's service established in 1747 by the Moravian Church in Germany). It has been produced by The Children's Society for children aged seven to 11 to encourage schools and youth groups to host a service during the traditional period (usually Christmas or any time between now and March). Funds will go towards the society's work with child runaways. Call National Campaigns at the society on 0171 837 4299.
* Two booklets for secondary teachers on how to develop spirituality and philosophical thinking have been produced this term by The Rev Dr Peter Whale of Wolverhampton Grammar School, supported by a Farmington Fellowship from Birmingham University. Details: Lesley Peat, development manager, Wolverhampton Grammar School, WV3 9RB, tel: 01902 421326.
* A key stage 2 teacher's pack has been produced for Wesley's Chapel in City Road, London EC1, price Pounds 10. Also covering John Wesley's House and The Museum of Methodism, it contains 16 cross-curricular activity sheets for on-site and post-visit classroom work. Admission is Pounds 15 per group up to 30 plus teachers. For details, tel: 0171 253 2262.
* Schools and churches are invited to design banners or wall-hangings for the millennium on the theme of "Creation". Entries will be shown and judged and prizes assigned at Christian Ecology Link's AGM in October 2000. A fee of Pounds 5 per entry is payable. For details, telfax The Rev John W McMiller on 0118 966 8352 or e-mail: 106723@-compuserve.com.