Skip to main content

The day my life changed - On a scale of one to 10 with 10 being dead, I was an eight

The warning signs were there. Family history; smoker; unfit; overweight; stressful job. I hadn't been to my GP since my teens, so when he sent me away with pills and told me I would be all right, I happily believed him. Two weeks later I woke up in hospital, not knowing where I was or how I got there. They told me I had had a stroke.

I loved my job. I had started off teaching history and geography in Luton in 1969, becoming head of history three years later. By 1993 I was headteacher of a school in Ealing (west London).

Throughout the years I had worked in various jobs, taking schools out of special measures and working in advisory roles. In 2007 I was working as a trouble-shooting head when the stroke happened. My wife tells me I had been acting strangely all day, sending strange text messages to her and my daughter at work, and complaining that I thought I had banged my head. They came home and took me to hospital but I have no memory of this.

I had another stroke in hospital and another one a couple of months later. It was the third stroke which did all the damage. I was told that on a scale of one to 10 with 10 being dead, I was an eight.

Physically there were no signs; no limp or effect on the face. But my literacy disappeared overnight and I developed aphasia (an acquired language disorder). Initially I was like a zombie. My speech was impossible to understand and I couldn't read or write.

I was given speech therapy while in hospital and for two months afterwards. The support was good at first, but then it stopped. After that I was left to my own devices. I could walk, make a cup of tea and cook. I started to cook the dinner at night and we had interesting meals during those first few months. Apart from that, I couldn't do much. My speech was retuning but I often couldn't recognise people.

I went on the waiting list for speech therapy and had three more sessions. But with limited budgets, this couldn't continue. Initially we used a paper list of the 45 most common words. The speech therapist recommended trying a software package and for the first year I used it daily to help regain my speech and language. There is great speech-recognition software and a program that reads back to me what I have written.

I started to drive again a year after the stroke and it was a huge boost. I am not the sort of man who likes to be driven about by others. I like my independence too much. I had to learn to drive a car again and later re-sat and passed my driving test. However, it is not a continuous process. I had a dip recently, but I have made huge progress and I am back up again now.

Networking has been great. It has helped me find out what help and support is out there. It has also helped me get back into work. I have been involved with City University London and trained police officers in aphasia. They have a tendency to think people with this condition are drunk. I have also taken part in a research study on speech and language training.

I would like to go back to work. I enjoyed my job, but I don't think I would ever become a headteacher again. Some sort of advisory role would suit me. I want to be able to read and write better and to have a better grasp of software before I return. I'm nearly there.

My wife laughs at me but I would like to run a marathon to raise money for the people who have helped me recover from the strokes. I want to let people who have had a stroke know not to give up, that you can improve.

Ian Wetherell was talking to Jackie Cosh. If you have an experience to share, email

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you