Skip to main content

Dodgy boiler fine

A council has been fined for not properly maintaining a primary school's boiler, after 25 pupils were taken to hospital following a gas leak. Gateshead council was fined pound;10,000 and ordered to pay costs of pound;6,830 after admitting a health and safety charge at the town's magistrates' court.

The pupils and two members of the teaching staff were evacuated from a classroom at Crookhill Primary School in Ryton in November 2006 when they were overcome by carbon monoxide.

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you