Skip to main content

From FE to KS2

I have a degree in psychology and am about to finish a PGCE (FE) with qualifed lecturer status. How would I go about teaching key stage 2 after I get my PGCE?

Either take another PGCE course but, even if you can find a provider, you will have to pay the full costs and this will make it uneconomic. Or, find a school willing to accept you on to the employment-based training route and train while teaching. Your programme would take into account your degree plus the content of your PGCE and concentrate on curriculum and assessment issues for key stage 2 where your knowledge is lacking. With many teachers trained for the primary sector looking for work, you may struggle to find a school willing to consider your request unless you can highlight the added value you could bring to their staff.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you