Colleges recognise former students Kevin Sinfield and John Rocha
Designer John Rocha, rugby league star Kevin Sinfield and Turner Prize winning artist Elizabeth Price were among the FE college alumni recognised at an awards ceremony today.
The Association of Colleges’ (AoC) Gold Awards celebrate the success of former college students in their chosen fields. Those receiving awards during a ceremony at the House of Commons included Mr Rocha (formerly of Croydon College), Leeds Rhinos capatain Mr Sinfield (Oldham Sixth Form College) and Luton Sixth Form College alumna Ms Price.
Also among the eight recipients were football referee Howard Webb (Rotherham College), and Labour MP Lucy Powell (Xaverian College).
The colleges that saw their alumni recognised also each had the opportunity to nominate a “Future Star” in a similar field.
Mr Rocha said: “Needless to say, without the foundation of my education and experience in Croydon, I would not be where I am today. It really was a wonderful experience and a really enjoyable time in my life.”
AoC chief executive Martin Doel said: “Colleges open doors to a wealth of opportunities and it is a privilege to recognise those who’ve been able to use their college experience to carve out a successful career.”
Gold Award winners:
- Mary Al-Khudri, who has opened a bespoke Muslim hair and beauty salon – Barnet and Southgate College
- Professor Julien Baker, director of the Institute for Clinical Exercise and Health Science at the University of the West of Scotland – Coleg y Cymoedd
- John Rocha, fashion designer – Croydon College
- Carl Lygo, vice-chancellor of BPP University – Doncaster College
- Elizabeth Price, artist and Turner Prize winner – Luton Sixth Form College
- Kevin Sinfield, Leeds Rhinos rugby captain – Oldham Sixth Form College
- Howard Webb, international football referee – Rotherham College
- Lucy Powell MP, Labour and Cooperative MP for Manchester Central and shadow minister for the Cabinet Office – Xaverian College
Future Star winners:
- Brishna Safi, who is studying for a Level 2 VRQ in hairdressing at Barnet and Southgate College
- Calum Haggett, an A-level biology, maths and physics student at Coleg y Cymoedd
- Morgan Coghlan, studying for a diploma in fashion at Croydon College
- Nathan Forster, studying business and administration at Doncaster College
- Olivia Cummins, who is studying BTEC Level 3 diplomas in art and design and graphic design
- Amy Clinton, an A-level PE, maths and biology student at Oldham Sixth Form College
- Alisia Angel, who is studying for a HNC Level 4 in media production at Rotherham College
- Maryam Watson, working towards her AS-level in government and politics, maths, history and photography at Xaverian College