FE’s Paralympic stars shine with 24 medals
Team GB’s FE-educated athletes have dazzled at the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Current and former FE college Paralympians added 24 medals (14 gold, six silver and four bronze) to Team GB’s total haul of 147 medals (64 gold, 39 silver and 44 bronze) – the most by a British team since 1988.
This would mean that Team FE – if it were a country – would stand ninth in the medal table, above Italy, France, Spain and New Zealand.
Team FE’s Paralympics heroes included sprinter Libby Clegg, who won gold in the T11 100m and 200m, and swimmer Ellie Simmonds, who won a gold and a bronze in the SM6 200m medley and S6 400m freestyle events, respectively.
Meanwhile Will Bayley won gold in the class 7 table tennis event, and cyclist Dame Sarah Storey won gold in the women's C5 3,000m individual pursuit.
Team FE Paralympics medal winners
- Jo Frith (gold) W1 Mixed Archery – Bridgwater College
- Hannah Cockroft MBE (pictured) (gold) T34 800m – Calderdale College
- Jonnie Peacock MBE (gold) T44 100m – Cambridge Regional College
- Libby Clegg (two golds) T11 100m and 200m – Loughborough College
- Sophie Hahn (one gold and one silver) T38 100m and F35-38 4x100m relay – Loughborough College
- Louis Rolfe (gold) C1-5 mixed sprint team – Cambridge Regional College
- Dame Sarah Storey (gold) C5 3,000m individual pursuit – Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form College
- Sophie Thornhill and Helen Scott (one gold and one bronze), B 1,000m time trial and tandem B 3km pursuit – Loughborough College and King Edward VI Sixth Form College Stourbridge, respectively
- Lauren Rowles (gold) mixed double sculls – King Edward VI Sixth Form College Stourbridge
- Sascha Kindred OBE (gold) SM6 200m individual medley – Hopwood Hall College
- Ellie Simmonds OBE (one gold and one bronze) SM6 200m medley and S6 400m freestyle –Loughborough College
- Matt Wylie (gold) S9 50m freestyle – Sunderland College
- Will Bayley (one gold and one bronze) class 7 table tennis and class 6-8 table tennis team event – South Gloucestershire and Stroud College
- Alfie Hewett (two silvers) wheelchair tennis singles and doubles – Norwich College
- Jonathan Broom-Edwards (silver) T44 high jump – Queen Mary's College
- Jon Fox MBE (silver) S7 100m backstroke – Cornwall College
- Harriet Lee (silver) SB9 100m breaststroke – Long Road Sixth Form College
- Aaron McKibbin and Ross Wilson (bronze) class 6-8 table tennis team event – both Loughborough College
- Louis Rolfe (bronze) C2 3,000m pursuit – Cambridge Regional College
View the AoC's full list of FE Paralympians here
FE SPECIAL OFFER: click here to try out a TES Further Education subscription for just £1 for 4 weeks.