The general duty says authorities must have "due regard to the need" to:
* eliminate racial discrimination;
* promote equality of opportunity and;
* promote good relations between persons of different racial groups.
A good policy would:
* be part of the authority's service improvement plan or school's development plan;
* give details of how the local authority or school will put the policy into practice and assess how effective it is;
* clearly define roles and responsibilities, so that people know what is expected of them, and;
* explain clearly what the local authority or school will do if the policy is not followed.
(From the Centre for Education for Racial Equality in Scotland)