Skip to main content


Sara Bubb offers advice to students and NQTs

I finish my maths degree with the Open University in December next year and would then like to follow the employment-based route into teaching. How do I go about this?

You could do the Graduate Teacher Programme (GTP) when you have the results of your degree, or the Registered Teacher Programme (RTP), which is for people like you who are doing their degree.

The GTP usually takes a year and the RTP takes two years. The advantage of the former is that your school can get a training salary for you of pound;13,000 and a training grant of up to pound;4,000. Places are limited but you would stand a good chance with a shortage subject such as maths.

You might gain qualified teacher status earlier by startig the RTP soon. You can get a training grant but not a training salary - the school would pay.

For both schemes you need to be at least 24 and have English and maths GCSE at grade c or above, a school to work in and someone to draw up a training plan after an audit of your needs.

It's up to you to find a school and it would be worth asking any school advertising for a maths teacher in your area to take you on. For more information go to or call the Teaching Information Line on 0845 6000 991.

Email your questions to Sara Bubb's new book, A Newly-Qualified Teacher's Manual: how to meet the induction standards, is published by David Fulton, pound;15. More of your questions answered at

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you