* Ask your pupils what they feel constitutes bullying. This can help form the basis for the school's anti-bullying policy.
* Ensure pupils know who they can turn to for help.
* Try to find constructive ways to help those who are bullying change their behaviour. Often punishment alone will not work.
* Acknowledge and reward bystanders who have helped prevent bullying.
* Having friends is one of the best defences against bullying. Support schemes that help vulnerable pupils make friends more easily.
* Consider a peer-support scheme, involving buddying, peer listening or peer mediation. Visit www.childline.org.ukbullying for more information.