Skip to main content

Independents face financial risk;In brief

Some independent schools will not survive in the present cut-throat market unless they attract more pupils or merge with another school, according to a survey by accountants PricewaterhouseCoopers. Most at risk are small and medium-sized mixed day and boarding schools and smaller girls' day schools.

The survey covered 189 independent schools with more than 350 pupils. It found fees income was up 5.1 per cent for the year 1997-98 and 87 per cent of the schools surveyed recorded surpluses totalling pound;74 million. The other 13 per cent recorded a deficit. Fifteen schools suffered a loss in fees income, some for the second year running.

* Benchmarking financial performance in independent schools, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Redcliff Street, Bristol BS1 6QR, pound;30.

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you