* Standards of attainment were too low, even allowing for pupils' past histories.
* Teaching was generally below the standard required to successfully re-integrate pupils into schools.
* Teachers were often struggling to cope with groups of pupils who were too diverse in their needs.
* Teachers were seldom subject specialists, and had insufficient training and support.
* Improvements were shown in pupils' response to schooling, behaviour and attendance.
* There was insufficient information on pupils' previous attainments on which to plan their curriculum.
* Some statemented pupils were placed for excessive periods in the units.
* Greater support and direction was required from local education authorities, to ensure that placements of pupils were short-term.