* "A different language is a different vision of life." Federico Fellini.
* Consider the relentless spread of American language and culture. Do we want McDonald's the world over?
* Discuss the resurgence of minority languages like Welsh, Basque and Breton. Why teach children the language of their heritage instead of something more "useful"?
* Ask pupils to name the top five world languages and the number of native speakers, then reveal the figures.
* Raise language awareness by examining links and subtle differences between languages.
* "Languages Work" from CILT is a varied collection of teaching resources highlighting the importance of language skills. www.languageswork.org.uk
The Black Country Pathfinder 14-19 Networks for Excellence also has materials on this theme.