Details of the first of Greater London's sub-regional area reviews have been announced by the government, with 17 FE colleges and six sixth-form colleges in West London and central London set to be affected.
The two sub-regions will be included in the second wave of area reviews, which is expected to begin at the end of this month, as the government's evaluation of post-16 provision around the country continues.
In Greater London, there will be two further sub-regional reviews which are scheduled to begin in April. Once the reviews are over, the London Area Review Steering Group will scrutinise the findings and ensure that the recommendations are carried out. The group will be chaired by the new mayor of London. The election to decide who will succeed Boris Johnson will take place on 5 May.
The area reviews are expected to have been completed by March 2017.
The London colleges affected by today's announcement are:
- Barnet and Southgate College
- The College of North West London
- Ealing, Hammersmith and West London College
- Harrow College
- Stanmore College of Further Education Corporation
- Uxbridge College
- West Thames College
- St Dominic’s Sixth Form College
- Woodhouse Sixth Form College
- City and Islington College
- City of Westminster College
- College of Haringey, Enfield and North-East London
- Hackney Community College
- Kensington and Chelsea College
- Lambeth College
- Lewisham Southwark College
- South Thames College
- Tower Hamlets College
- Westminster Kingsway College
- Brooke House Sixth Form College
- Christ the King Sixth Form College
- St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College
- St Francis Xavier Sixth Form College