* The RLSS has 12,000 members in 51 nationwide branches and more than 2,000 affiliated lifesaving clubs and lifeguard units. It trains and accredits most of the UK's 25,000 swimming pool lifeguards.
* The society also takes an active role in schools. Working with allied bodies, its Swim For Life campaign promotes swimming tuition and water safety education for five to 11-year-olds.
* For more information on the Royal Life Saving Society, send a large stamped SAE to RLSS, River House, Broom, Warkwickshire B50 4HN. Tel: 01789 773994. Fax: 01789 773995. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org The Surf Life Saving Association of Great Britain (SLSA) is also a governing body for lifesaving. With 5,000 members in its 80 lifesaving clubs, it concentrates on training and qualifying beach lifeguards.
* The association runs an achievement award scheme for young people, aimed particularly at key stage 1 and 2 pupils. The award covers coastal safety, first aid, water skills and rescue techniques.
* For more information on the Surf Life Saving Association, write to Surf House, Marine Building, Victoria Wharf, Plymouth PL4 0LP. Tel: 01752 253911.
Fax 01752 253912.
E-mail: email@example.com Website: www.lifeguards.org.uk