Overpaid? Be careful

Your job and career questions answered

I have recently started work as a supply teacher. Should I keep a record of the work that I do?

Unless you are on a full or part-time contract for so many sessions per week, you should always keep detailed records in case of disputes. Most supply agencies will expect you to do this, even if they don't actually provide the forms. Local authorities normally expect you to photocopy claim forms as your record. You should always check your pay slips to determine that you agree with the amount you are being paid. In the rare event of over-payment, don't look on it as a lottery win and go on a spending spree; it is quite likely that you will be asked to pay the money back eventually.

If this does happen, do ensure that you are provided with enough information to check that the new amount is actually correct.

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you