Skip to main content

Post-16 plan outlined

Plans for the transformation of post-16 education in Wales were outlined in the Assembly this week.

John Griffiths, deputy minister for skills, told members about various proposals, including wholesale secondary school reorganisation, local consortia between schools and colleges, and uniting all post-16 provision under one umbrella.

A number of FE colleges have proposed mergers, and several skills providers have proposed partnerships to provide specific skills such as construction.

Mr Griffiths said once the proposals have been approved, he expects 60 per cent of providers to implement the changes by September 2010 and the remaining 40 per cent by September 2011.

But opposition members warned that the upheaval could prove unpopular and said there must be meaningful consultation. Others expressed concerns over funding and Welsh-medium provision.

See next week's TES Cymru for an in-depth look at the proposals.

Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you