Campaign aims to help parents warn children about abuse
- A new campaign by a charity aims to make protecting children from sexual abuse as easy as teaching them to eat their vegetables. NSPCC hopes to persuade families to adopt the "underwear rule", which refers to the acronym PANTS - privates are private; always remember your body belongs to you; no means no; talk about secrets that upset you; and speak up - someone can help.
Playgroup plan to bond jailed dads with children
Scotland on Sunday
- A network of playgroups run by fathers for fathers is in talks to take their services to a Scottish jail in an attempt to strengthen the bond between male inmates and their children and reduce reoffending. Dads Rock, formed in Edinburgh 16 months ago, wants to extend its play sessions into Edinburgh Prison.
Students tell of horror after school dorm set on fire by terrorists
- As the Nigerian government launched an appeal for refugees from the country's insurgency-stricken northeast to return to their homes, Islamist gunmen from the radical Boko Haram group attacked a school this weekend, dousing a dormitory in fuel and setting it ablaze as students slept. At least 30 people were killed. Boko Haram means "western education is sacrilege".
New national curriculum to introduce fractions to five-year-olds
- The Westminster education secretary Michael Gove's efforts to revolutionise learning in England's schools will mean that five-year-olds will study fractions and write computer programs in their first year of school, according to final versions of the new curriculum. Some subjects have had massive rewrites.
How Corstorphine crimebusters now target paedophiles
- The Scottish scientific team that recreated the face of the woman found in a shallow grave on Corstorphine Hill in Edinburgh is at the forefront of new forensic investigative techniques that are helping to capture paedophiles. The University of Dundee's Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification can now identify paedophiles in images showing them abusing children which are shared online.