* Who Cares? Scotland (www.whocaresscotland.net). Tel: 0141 400 6363.
* BAAF Adoption and Fostering (www.baaf.org.uk). Tel: 020 7593 2000.
* Barnardo's (www.barnados.org.uk). Tel: 020 8550 8822.
* ChildLine (www.childline.org.uk) is a confidential counselling telephone service for children. Lines open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Helpline: 0800 1111.
* Voice for the Child in Care (www.vcc-uk.org) offers advocacy services for children in care and secure accommodation. Tel: 020 7833 5792.
* Children and Young People's Unit (www.cypu.gov.uk).
* Social Exclusion Unit (www.socialexclusionunit.gov.uk). The unit's "knowledge pool" contains extensive information about the education of children in public care.
* A Better Education for Children in Care (Social Exclusion Unit) 2003.
* www.doh.gov.ukpublicstats3.htm - all the official government statistics surrounding children in public care.
For a full list of resources, see www.tes.co.uk