A Dundee primary school class has been dubbed the UK’s funniest for its topical joke about face masks.
Class 5B from Forthill Primary School entered the annual Beano competition to find the country's funniest class, and came out on top with 21.7 per cent of the public vote.
Their joke reflected the seismic events of the Covid pandemic that have affected everyone in the UK for over a year now: “What did the face mask say to the mouth? Let me cover for you!”
Jokes in school: 'We can and should teach children to be funny'
Laughing matters: 'We'd all benefit from more laughter in our classes'
School pranks: 10 teacher pranks that annoy pupils
It was one of 10 jokes shortlisted by the Beano before the public decided which was the funniest.
Britain's Funniest Class: The top 10 jokes in the competition
The top 10 jokes are:
1. Forthill Primary School (whose pupils Mia Smith and Vuyo Mdlalose are pictured above): “What did the face mask say to the mouth? Let me cover for you!”
2. Greystones Primary School: “What did the teacher say to the comic lover as a punishment? There will Beano comics for you.”
3. St John the Baptist Primary School: “Where’s the best place to take a dog for a walk? Leeds.”
4. Upton Meadows Primary: “Knock knock. Who’s there? Justin. Justin who? Justin time to read Beano.”
5. Bradford Christian School: “What did Minnie change her name to when Rubi’s ‘Growth Ray’ experiment went wrong? Minnie the Shrinks!”
6. Hampton Hill Junior School: “Why did the mobile phone go for an eye test? Because it lost its contacts!”
7. Howardian Primary School: “What did the pen say to the rock? Nothing, because pens can’t talk.”
8. Uffculme Primary School: “What does a scary panda say? Bam boooooooo!”
9. Finton House School: “What is the coldest Christmas food? Pigs in blankets.”
10. Porthcawl Primary School: “Why didn’t the robber steal Bea’s sweets? Because no one would stoop that low!”
Special announcement 🚨— Beano (@BeanoOfficial) July 15, 2021
Your votes have been counted and we have listened to the nation. We are thrilled to announce Class 5B from Forthill Primary School in Dundee as your Britain’s Funniest Class of 2021! Congratulations to them and all the finalists.https://t.co/tyok4CPobl pic.twitter.com/hpuao4cIoi
Mike Stirling, of the Beano, presented the class at Forthill Primary School with a trophy and prizes, including comic subscriptions.
He said: “We’ve learned our greatest gags have always come from kids themselves and Britain’s Funniest Class has schooled us yet again, raising some much-needed chuckles in classrooms.”