A poet's life
- An account of Edwin Morgan's life has been named Saltire SocietyNational Library of Scotland Scottish Research Book of the Year. Beyond the Last Dragon was written by James McGonigal with the Scottish poet's support. It was published by Sandstone Press shortly after Morgan's death last year.
- Kelso High in the Borders is the only Scottish school to sign up for Mission X - an international pilot project which provides students with an expert view on what it's like to train for a space adventure. Activites include the promotion of regular exercise, healthy nutrition and a boost in the interest of science.
- Blogs detailing the ups and downs of applying to university, written by six teenagers from around the world, are now part of Ucas Connect, the digital resource for anyone thinking about choosing higher education. Ucas Connect (www.ucasconnect.com) already hosts Ucas's Facebook and Twitter accounts, where experts reply to applicants' queries in real time.
- Calderglen High in East Kilbride is to host a Microsoft Partners in Learning Teacher Camp on 26 and 27 January 2012. The two-day camp will offer teachers the chance to develop, create and evaluate learning resources using Microsoft software.
- Climate Week - first held this year to encourage a national anti-climate change movement - is to be repeated next year on 12-18 March when thousands of businesses, charities, schools and councils will run talks, workshops, training sessions and exhibitions. Britain's biggest environmental competition - the Climate Week Challenge - will run alongside the Climate Week Awards.