A history of ups and downs
* "There is weaker provision in geography than in any other national curriculum subject", Ofsted primary subject report 20034
* "Geography... is perceived by increasing numbers of pupils as being uninteresting or irrelevant."
Ofsted secondary subject report 20034
* There has been no major review of curriculum content since the late 1980s.
* "You teach ******* geography, probably the most tedious subject in the history of subjects, historically taught by the most tedious ******* teachers. You're supposed to be boring. Live with it." Kurt to Brian, the PEgeography teacher, Teachers, Aug 20, 2003
* The Government set aside pound;244,000 in 20045 for initiatives to support geography in schools.
* A new GCSE piloted by OCR has been well received by teachers .
* Geography gains considerable support from its two subject associations - the Geographical Association and the Royal Geographical Society with Institute of British Geographers.
QCA report 2004