Acrimony keynote of next pay talks

4th April 1997 at 01:00
Acrimony and animosity will fuel the next round of pay talks between the employers and unions in the FE sector, with only parsimony having the edge at the top.

The Association of Colleges, which has so far reserved its position, in the face of weighty union claims, has concentrated its ire on the largest one, NATFHE.

Sue Dutton, deputy chief executive of the AOC, said: "NATFHE have gone out on their own this time with regard to the pay claim they have presented to the association. It has put in a separate claim from the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, and that is not helpful. They have also, again, put in separate claims for lecturers and the management spine.

"It is disappointing that NATFHE seems to be trying to continue the policy of retaining the Silver Book when over 90 per cent of staff are now on new professional contracts.

"This is a policy of a union which only represents 10 per cent of its membership. I would question how the other 90 per cent of people on new contracts are going to be represented," she said.

NATFHE has submitted a claim for lecturers and senior lecturers of a flat rate increase of Pounds 30 a week. It wants a weekly teaching load kept to 21 hours per week and a maximum working week of 30 hours.

Its research had shown that half of FE lecturers were paid between Pounds 20,000 and Pounds 24,999, with another 40 per cent below Pounds 20,000. They contrast this with teachers, 70 per cent of whom earned between Pounds 20,901 and Pounds 27,084.

They argued that "there must now be a real concern that FE college lecturers will increasingly be tempted to deploy their talents in schools rather than colleges. Evidence of the drop in the number of student teachers support the theory that there is a looming crisis of recruitment in schools."

Sue Berryman, NATFHE negotiator, said: ""Our claim is justifiable given what lecturers have been through in the last three years. Even the funding council inspectorate have pointed to the low morale among staff. Sensible employers must recognise that open-ended contracts are not the best way of delivering teaching effectively." She said 160 colleges had locally negotiated contracts and some 200 had had contracts imposed.

The Association for College Management has called for a flat pay award of 5 per cent on all points on the management spine, and wants a review of workload and rewards of all staff.

Ms Dutton, of the AOC, said it would seek realistic deals in the context of the economic situation. They would try to achieve the best they could for staff, against the backcloth of continuing funding depreciation. But they would be linked to the ability of employers to pay.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now