Acronym alert

11th February 2005 at 00:00
Looking at jobs on the TES website, I am confused by references to CPS. I know MPS means main pay scale; does CPS have anything to do with this or is it completely different?

At various time in the past the pay scales have been given different names.

The main scale was once referred to as the common professional scale or CPS. The initials seem to have hung around even after the introduction of the terms main and upper pay spines.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now