Back from the USA

21st April 2006 at 01:00
Your job and career questions answered

I'm looking for advice on getting up to speed. I have a PGCE (juniors) and had been teaching for five years when we moved to the United States. After 10 years we are returning and I want to get back into the classroom. For the last five years I've been working as an educational (teaching) assistant in an elementary school so I have more recent experience. Any ideas would be appreciated.

There are some return to teaching courses that might be a way to update yourself on what has happened while you've been away. Check with your local authority to see if they know of any courses. The main change, as you'll have noticed, is that jobs are not as plentiful as when you left. However, you should be able to make your experience work for you. You have an understanding of teamwork as a professional and as an aide. This should be a helpful selling point. With 10 years' experience, you could look for more senior posts where the competition may be less fierce than for a basic classroom teacher post.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today