Black history: a sample of resources
* Mary Seacole. By Brian Williams. The Life and World of ...series. Heinemann Library. pound;6.50
* Nelson Mandela. By Sean Connolly. Heinemann Profiles series. Heinemann Library. pound;7.99. Examines the life of Nelson Mandela and analyses his aims and achievements.
* Matthew Henson. By Maryann N Weidt. History Maker Biographies series. Lerner. pound;5.99. The story of the black explorer who reached the North Pole in 1909.
* The Diary of a Young West Indian Immigrant: Gloria Charles, Britain 1965. By Trish Cooke. History Diary series. Franklin Watts. pound;4.99. Fiction: a chatty, personal diary.
* Martin Luther King. By Verna Wilkins. Famous People, Famous Lives series. Franklin Watts. pound;3.99. Large text and clear line drawings. For reluctant readers.
* "Wanted Dead or Alive": The True Story of Harriet Tubman. By Ann McGovern. Scholastic. pound;3.50. The escaped slave who helped hundreds of others find freedom.
* The Beat of a Drum: A Story of African Slavery. By Stewart Ross. Hodder Wayland. pound;4.99. Fiction.
* Five Brave ExplorersFive Notable Inventors. By Wade Hudson. Great Black Heroes series. Scholastic. pound;3.50 each
* Black Scientists and Inventors. By Michael Williams and Ada Henry. BIS Publications. Book 1 pound;6.99, Book 2 pound;7.99
Key stages 34
* Martin Luther King JrMalcolm X Nelson Mandela. By David Downing. Leading Lives series. Heinemann Library. pound;7.99 each
* Martin Luther King Jr. By Anita Ganeri and Nicola Barber. 20th-century History Makers series. Franklin Watts. pound;12.99. His political life.
* Black People of the Americas. By Nigel Kelly. Living Through History series. Heinemann Library. pound;8.99. A source-book for project work.
* Black Peoples of the Americas. By Nigel Smith. Oxford History Study Units. OUP. pound;8.50. Investigative approach with sections on slavery, the civil war, and segregation.
* Black Peoples of America. By Ann Kramer. Franklin Watts. pound;6.99. Bites of information with illustrations, geographical panels and fact boxes.
* Apartheid in South Africa. By Sean Connolly. Africa: Postcolonial Conflict. By David Downing. Troubled World series. Heinemann Library. pound;7.99 each
* The African-American Slave Trade. By Christine Hatt. Questioning History series. Hodder Wayland. pound;12.99. Explores causes and events and asks "What if?" questions.
* South Africa Since Apartheid. By Sean Sheehan.
The Civil Rights Movement. By Nigel Ritchie.
The African-American Slave Trade. By RG Grant.
Lives in Crisis series. Hodder Wayland. pound;12.99 each. Contain first-hand accounts.
* Rough Guide History series. Penguin. pound;7.99 each. Pocket-sized reference books on history, culture and religion and ideologies. Islam by Justin Wintle, for example, includes maps of historical influence. Entries are by key dates. www.roughguides.com
* The Freeing of Nelson Mandela The Dream of Martin Luther King. By Liz Gogerly. Days that Shook the World series. Hodder Wayland. pound;11.99 each.
* Remember Me: Achievements of Mixed Race People Past and Present. By Asher and Martin Hoyles. Hansib Publications. pound;8.99
* Black Peoples of the Americas. By Bea Stimpson. Quest series. Nelson Thornes. pound;6.75. Resource material for this book is provided in the Black Peoples of the Americas Activity Support Guide.
* Empires and Citizens Book 1. By Ben Walsh. Nelson Thornes. pound;12.75. Covers national curriculum history areas of study 12 and 13: a world study before and after 1900. Support and resources CD-Rom, price according to school size.
For older secondary
* The Black Peoples of the Americas. Foundation edition by John D Clare. Mainstream edition by DR Featonby. Hodder History series. Hodder Murray. pound;5.99 each
* The Impact of Empire. By Jamie Byron et al. Hodder Murray. pound;8.99. Case studies from the British Empire to the present.
* Windrush: The Irresistible Rise of Multi-Racial Britain. By Mike and Trevor Phillips. HarperCollins. pound;6.99. The story through the eyes of survivors of the first voyage, their descendants, friends and colleagues.