Bolton - Parents urged not to panic over radioactive gas
Bolton education chiefs have been forced to reassure parents that their children are safe at school after high levels of radioactive gas were found on site.
Bolton Council had to carry out emergency works to reduce levels of the naturally occurring radon gas at Highfield Primary School.
Routine tests were carried out recently at schools across the borough, but the Health Protection Agency (HPA) found that levels of the dangerous gas were too high.
Work was carried out over the half-term break to increase ventilation, and the school will continue to be monitored.
Margaret Asquith, Bolton Council's director of children's services, told The Bolton News: "The HPA has advised us and the headteacher that the school routine should continue, so we would like to reassure parents that all work needed has been carried out and that they can continue to send their child to school as normal." rv.