Bradford - Food probe after toddlers fall sick
An investigation has been launched after 77 children at three Bradford nurseries fell ill after eating a meal of chicken pie, vegetables and potato.
The toddlers suffered symptoms similar to those of an allergic reaction, including rashes and swollen tongues. The meal was cooked at Knowleswood Primary School before being distributed to three nurseries.
Roojie Barr, Bradford council's assistant director for facilities management, said: "A sample of the meal has now been sent to a laboratory by our environmental health team and we have requested the results as soon as possible.
"The kitchen in which the meals were prepared is now closed while tests are being carried out."
Barr made an address to parents, saying food standards were always high and the incident would be investigated fully.
Dr Martin Schweiger, consultant in communicable disease control at West Yorkshire Health Protection Unit, said: "The investigation is very much at an early stage and as yet no source of illness has been identified."
Although the initial effects were worrying, all children affected have made a full recovery. fl.