Puzzles to test mathematical skills - for the answers see end of story.
Line of symmetry
You need six cubes - two red, two blue, two green and some squared paper.
* Ann has six cubes: two red, two green, two blue.
* She puts them in a line to make a symmetrical pattern.
* Here is one of Ann's patterns:
RED. BLUE. GREEN. GREEN. BLUE. RED
l How many other symmetrical patterns can Ann make by putting her six cubes in a line?
* Join any four numbers.
* Find their total.
* Joins can go up, downor sideways, but not diagonally.
* The score shown is 8 + 15 + 6 + 18 = 47.
* Find the highest possible score.
* Find the lowest possible score.
* Try joining five numbers.
* Now try four diagonal joins.
BRAIN TEASER SOLUTIONS
* Line of symmetry
Anna can arrange her cubes like this:
1 red, green, blue, blue, green, red
2 green, red, blue, blue, red, green
3 green, blue, red, red, blue, green
4 blue, red, green, green, red, blue
5 blue, green, red, red, green, blue
Highest score 19+15 +17+18 = 69
Lowest score 6+5+2+17 = 30
Using five numbers: Highest is 20 +18 +13+17+18 = 86
Lowest is 6+18+2+5+6 = 37
Using diagonals: Highest is 19+17+14+15+18 = 83
Lowest is 13+6+20+2+6 = 47