1. Which TV series featured the characters Timothy Claypole and Hubert Davenport?
2. Who was the 17th-century philosopher who described life as "nasty, brutish and short"?
3. What connects Dalmeny with North Queensferry?
4. What links Last of the Summer Wine's longest-serving character, the Four Seasons, and the ruler of Mongo?
5. Who was the captain of the Pequod?
6. Manganese Bronze is the largest wholly-UK owned manufacturer of what?
7. Which horse "won" the Grand National in 1993, the year the race was declared void after a false start?
8. What would you do with a Yorkshire fat rascal?
9. By what name is DJ sidekick David Vitty better known to radio listeners?
10. Who was the last English player to be named European Footballer of the Year?
[BX] Pub Quiz answers 1. 'Rentaghost' 2. Thomas Hobbes 3. The Forth (Rail) Bridge 4. Liberal Democrat leaders: Norman (Nick) Clegg; best-selling recording by Nigel (Charles) Kennedy; Ming (Campbell) the Merciless (in 'Flash Gordon') 5. Captain Ahab (in 'Moby Dick') 6. Cars (they make London taxis) 7. Esha Ness 8. Eat it (it's a type of cake) 9. Comedy Dave (on 'The Chris Moyles Show') 10. Michael Owen, in 2001.