* The executive council is to carry out a review of devolved school management and school development planning, after concern in East Dunbartonshire and Fife.
* The need for national guidelines on the composition of classes with special needs pupils was stressed by Edinburgh local association.
* The leadership was urged "to use the media to respond more vigorously to political attacks on teachers' professionalism".
* FE members won delegates' backing for student bursaries to be returned to council control.
* The nationalist wing was defeated in its attempt to have a question on independence included in the referendum on a Scottish parliament. Kathie Finn, Glasgow, pointed out that the EIS has no policy on independence for Scotland.
* Other countries' approaches to sabbaticals and career breaks are to be studied.
* Classrooms that are too hot in summer should come under the same regulations as those that set minimum temperatures in winter, delegates agreed.
* Highland delegates won backing for a call to have all nurseries staffed by registered teachers.