Cash for young citizens
Ewan Aitken, executive member for children and families at Edinburgh City Council, said: "Through the Youngedinburgh strategy, we are committed to creating a city where every young person matters and where young people are recognised as citizens of today, not just tomorrow."
The decision to provide extra funding was agreed at a full council meeting in January - the first to hear directly from young people's representatives on an agenda set by young people. The initiative is based around the following principles:
* Each council should be representative, democratic, fair and inclusive.
* The money cannot be used to buy things the school has a legal duty to provide.
* Young people should be making the decisions from start to finish.
* Each council must consult with all students in the school.
* The money is not to set up a council but be spent, for example, on projects and events.
* Councils should learn from what goes well and not so well.