CD removes paper weight

17th January 2003 at 00:00
CD-Roms are replacing paperwork at a junior school which is working to slash its teachers' admin burden.

Head Andy Tromans began using discs two years ago because staff at Ocker Hill school in Tipton, West Midlands, were buried in paper.

Each half-term he now gives them a CD-Rom containing curriculum support material, lesson plan templates, the latest Government advice, school policies, and details of useful websites and health and safety information.

Mr Tromans has been invited to train new heads to use his scheme, and is discussing with Sandwell education authority how to extend the project to other schools.

He said cutting paperwork had lowered staff stress levels and boosted recruitment; the number of applicants for each vacancy at Ocker Hill has risen from one to 14 since the scheme started.

All 12 teachers at the school get laptops which they use to tweak template lesson plans. "We expect that teachers will change 20 per cent of the teaching plans to reflect new resources and ideas, but it saves them typing out the other 80 per cent again," Mr Tromans said.

"It also means that they don't have to cart 16 files home. "I want my teachers to come in bright-eyed and enthusiastic. And when a pupil asks them if they saw Blue Planet, or something else good on TV, they don't say: 'No, I was up late doing literacy planning.'"

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now