Chatroom - Call to teach longer hours

3rd September 2010 at 01:00

Posted by bigjimmy

I reckon most of us put in 50-plus hours a week regularly. Maybe if we just stick to 35 hours, then Gordon Matheson (Glasgow chief executive) would soon realise what tripe he is spouting.

Posted by kibosh

Will the unions allow the McCrone agreement to be re-negotiated?

Posted by bigjimmy

The more I think about this, the more incensed I become. Let's hope the unions fight it tooth and nail. Should it come to pass, then I will be logging my time, doing my job very carefully in future.

Posted by holdingon

Maybe that idea of work-to-contract will happen now. It is time we stood up for our hard-negotiated conditions of service. We work much more than 35 hours - you can't survive in the classroom if you don't.

Posted by kibosh

I teach 27 lessons out of 33. This proposal would see me teaching 30. Lessons are 50 minutes long in the school where I do supply. The department is small enough to make another teacher almost surplus, if the others all got their timetables bumped up like this.

Posted by halfajack

I think that's the idea. There's already been talk of casualisation of the profession because of so many temporary contracts and long-term supply. This makes matters worse.

Posted by categed

It seems to be have-a-go-at-teachers year. Most work hard and do extra hours, pay for resources out of our own pocket and put up with a lot from parents and children. I wonder if they just want to see how many unemployed teachers they can make?

Posted by categed

Mike Russell's response to this idea seemed very mealy-mouthed . Does anyone know how he stands on the McCrone agreement? Is he committed to it, or is everything up for negotiation?

Posted by CanuckGrrl

Teachers can be let go in droves but no one will notice the difference because we'll all be doing 25 hours of pupil-contact time per week.

Posted by bigjimmy

I'll find a councillor to put in a bin, record it and post it on YouTube.

www.tes.co.ukscotland, then go to forums and click on Opinion.

Comments