Chatroom - What age should you be to become a principal teacher?

17th July 2009 at 01:00
Hot topics from the TES Scotland forums

Posted by Amy-Lou1980

I'm 29 and have been teaching English for four years. Do you think I'm too younginexperienced to consider applying for PT positions? Am worried I'm not confident enough but part of me thinks, just go for it.

Posted by bigjimmy

Age shouldn't matter at all; it's the overall package that counts.

Posted by didactophobe

If you feel ready, go for it. The worst scenario is that you miss out and some numpty who was not deterred by their lack of ability or experience gets the job.

Posted by grunwald

Go for it. Especially as there are now no APT posts. Some people were secondary heads at 32-33.

Posted by cinnamon1609

Four years of teaching in itself renders you too inexperienced to manage a department. However, four years of teaching combined with heading up projects and taking PT-type tasks . means you could consider applying for promoted posts at this stage.

Posted by Futurama2006

I am 25 and would not see myself as having obtained the necessary experience. I believe there is too much of a tendency now for schools to advertise the fact, "Hey, we have department heads that are still covered in amniotic fluid." I would also have concern at somebody being made a department head so young if they have gone straight from uni to teacher training to probation year and thus remained in school with only a four- year break.

Posted by Freddie92

I would say that you should be at least at the top of the pay scale, so teaching for seven years. As well as becoming a good classroom teacher, you should show evidence of responsibility within the department for management and leadership areas, and evidence of whole-school responsibilities.

Posted by jonowen

Go for it and if you are excellent enough, you will get the post.

Posted by Amy-Lou1980

Cheers for all the words of support, Jon. Interview would have been today but I decided not to go. I'm not 100% sure I have experience (and confidence) yet. Maybe next year.

www.tes.co.ukscotland, then forum and Opinion.

Comments