Decisions, decisons

12th December 2003 at 00:00
I want to train as a teacher but I would need to work during my training.

What are my options?

You have three options. First, part-time courses offered by traditional teacher-training institutions - such as universities and colleges. Second, there are distance-learning courses, such as the one provided by the Open University. Third, there is no reason why an employment-based training placement cannot be part-time - as long as the school is willing. However, despite the growing number of options, this latter is not an easy route and with trainee numbers increasing there is no incentive for providers to expand it. You will need to consider whether you will be required to teach a block practice at some point during the course, and whether you would be able to manage that.

Log-in as an existing print or digital subscriber

Forgotten your subscriber ID?


To access this content and the full TES archive, subscribe now.

View subscriber offers


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today