Diary - Gum gone wrong

1st January 2010 at 00:00

It sounds like a classroom experiment gone wrong, and will make kids think twice about what they put in their mouths.

When Ukrainian chemistry student Vladimir Likhonos, 25, dipped his chewing gum into what he thought was powdered citric acid, he paid for more than just corroded teeth.

Investigators believe Mr Likhonos mistakenly dunked his gum into what police suspect was an explosive, which subsequently detonated and killed him.

His parents found him lying on his bedroom floor, with his jaw blown off, after they were alerted by a "loud pop" that came from upstairs.

Forensic examinations revealed that the gum had been mixed with an unknown chemical substance.

It is likely that he had confused the acid - something that he often added to gum for its sour taste - with the similar looking, other powder.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now