Diary - Safety sticking point

22nd January 2010 at 00:00

The health and safety tsars might get on our nerves, but a recent incident in China shows that you can never be too careful.

A 14-month-old toddler was playing at home in the eastern Shandong province when he fell over, allowing a stray chopstick to go up his nose and lodge in his brain.

His parents had to do a 10-hour drive to a Beijing hospital after local doctors said they lacked the correct equipment to remove it.

Neurosurgeons found that the chopstick was lodged four millimetres into Li's brain, but pulling it would cause too much internal bleeding. "We were prepared to cut open his head immediately to stop the bleeding from his brain if blood spurted from his nose just when the chopstick was pulled out," they said.

The operation was successful. Li is now being treated with an anti-inflammatory drug and should be able to leave hospital soon.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now