Discrimination act

6th May 2005 at 01:00
My son, who is disabled, is having an operation in the near future and I need time off for this. My headteacher is being unco-operative about it.

How can I get the time off with pay? I'll either be with my son in hospital, or looking after his younger brother while my wife is at the hospital. Is there an entitlement in either of these cases? From talking with teachers at my school it appears that women staff have been granted medical time off with pay but, as the only man, I feel that I am not receiving the same deal.

This is a complicated area of the law. Basically, you may be covered under the provisions relating to Parental Leave that were introduced a couple of years ago. You can find out more at http:www.dti.gov.ukerintguid1.htm.

Curiously, I can find nothing on the Department for Education and Skills's Teachernet about the subject, so that may be why your head is confused.

Certainly, this is an area where both parents should have equal rights. If you don't feel you are being properly treated, this is an issue to take up with your professional association.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email susan.young@tes.co.uk

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now