Down Under dues

2nd December 2005 at 00:00
I'm planning on going to New Zealand in January and want to start teaching there in April. I have contacted the relevant bodies regarding registering and having my qualifications checked. The process is going to cost pound;226. I was surprised. Is there a cheaper way of doing this, such as going through an agency and working as a supply teacher. I've heard that work can be difficult to find, so to increase my chances, maybe paying the fee is worth it as I could contact the schools myself?

It is always worth asking agencies to see what they have to offer. If it is a buyers' market, they'll probably expect you to cover registration fees.

Although GTCE fee is only pound;30, overseas teachers who want certification in England have to pay more, so the pound;226 fee may not be exceptional. Try direct contact with schools, but it may limit where you can work and possibly the type of work you're given, even after having paid for the registration yourself.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number


The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now