* Fulbright teacher exchange. Exchanges to the US, open to all UKteachers, 60 places, most for the full year, some for just the autumn term. November deadline for applications for following year's exchange. Teachers continue to be paid by their own school and pay tax in the UK, so pensions are unaffected. www.britishcouncil.orglearning-fulbright.htm; 028 9024 8220 ext 226.
* League for the Exchange of Commonwealth Teachers (LECT). One-year exchanges to Australia, Canada or New Zealand. November 2005 closing date for exchanges in 2006. Successful applicants pay a fee of pound;350 and their own air fare, although a limited number of travel grants are available (up to pound;1,500). UK-wide, but applicants must have been in the profession for three years or more. www.lect.org.uk; 0870 770 2636.
* Fulbright workshadow exchanges. Six-week shadowing visits open to headteachers, who host their US counterpart in return.
www.britishcouncil.orglearning-fulbright-what-is-workshadow-exchange.htm; 028 9024 8220 ext 226.
* East-West programme. Teacher exchanges, minimum one week, between schools in Ireland and Great Britain. Grants of around E1,000 to cover travel, accommodation, subsistence. Apply at least six weeks before exchange.
Tel: 020 7389 4247 (schools in England and Wales); 0131 524 5736 (schools in Scotland).
* Teacher Exchange Europe. For secondary modern language teachers.
Exchanges in Spain, France or Germany lasting six weeks, one term or a full year. Travel expenses covered. You must identify your own exchange partner.
April deadline. British Council: 020 7389 4447; email@example.com.