From FE to KS2

17th September 2004 at 01:00
I have a degree in psychology and am about to finish a PGCE (FE) with qualifed lecturer status. How would I go about teaching key stage 2 after I get my PGCE?

Either take another PGCE course but, even if you can find a provider, you will have to pay the full costs and this will make it uneconomic. Or, find a school willing to accept you on to the employment-based training route and train while teaching. Your programme would take into account your degree plus the content of your PGCE and concentrate on curriculum and assessment issues for key stage 2 where your knowledge is lacking. With many teachers trained for the primary sector looking for work, you may struggle to find a school willing to consider your request unless you can highlight the added value you could bring to their staff.

If you have a question for John Howson, please email


Get TES online and delivered to your door – for less than the price of a coffee

Save 33% off the cover price with this great subscription offer. Every copy delivered to your door by first-class post, plus full access to TES online and the TES app for just £1.90 per week.
Subscribers also enjoy a range of fantastic offers and benefits worth over £270:

  • Discounts off TES Institute courses
  • Access over 200,000 articles in the TES online archive
  • Free Tastecard membership worth £79.99
  • Discounts with Zipcar,, Virgin Wines and other partners
Order your low-cost subscription today