Fines for gas death

22nd August 1997 at 01:00
A landlord and a gas fitter blamed for the death of a Durham University student escaped with a fine by a court this week, although the judge said he would have sent them to jail if he had had the power. Anne Brennan, 19, died two years ago after breathing carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty boiler.

Graham Williams, the landlord, and Edgar Maddison, the gas technician, could only be fined under the charges brought against them by the Health and Safety Executive, although the coroner recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.

Subscribe to get access to the content on this page.

If you are already a Tes/ Tes Scotland subscriber please log in with your username or email address to get full access to our back issues, CPD library and membership plus page.

Not a subscriber? Find out more about our subscription offers.
Subscribe now
Existing subscriber?
Enter subscription number

Comments

The guide by your side – ensuring you are always up to date with the latest in education.

Get Tes magazine online and delivered to your door. Stay up to date with the latest research, teacher innovation and insight, plus classroom tips and techniques with a Tes magazine subscription.
With a Tes magazine subscription you get exclusive access to our CPD library. Including our New Teachers’ special for NQTS, Ed Tech, How to Get a Job, Trip Planner, Ed Biz Special and all Tes back issues.

Subscribe now