First time school visits
* Case the joint: if at all possible visit the location yourself first; if not, look up its website, read the pamphlets, consult a map, check the opening and closing times and other details.
* Make sure children know why the visit is taking place: trips that appar pointless irritate them and are often a waste of time.
* Preparation and follow-up work is essential: the visit itself is the filling in the sandwich.
* Keep parents in the picture: they need to know lots of detail about the event, such as timings, cost, suitable clothing, food, safety, its purpose.
* Supervision has to be impeccable: you must fulfil the legally required duty of care, acting as a careful parent would, and the recquisite higher duty of care when escorting children who are vulnerable, such as the very young or those with special needs.